Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Unbelievable

I have a fear of mice. A fear that goes back to my early childhood. Rats are a whole new level and not one I've had to confront often. Growing up on a farm, made my fear even worse because the encounters were more frequent. I hate mice with a passion. Actually, I'm deathly afraid of them.

Last night was mutual and we had a combined activity. I was cleaning up at the end, and walked back into the gym after being in the kitchen. There was a group of kids that I walked past to get my purse. Out of nowhere, one of the girls turns around and sticks a RAT in my face.....yes, a RAT! I immediately FREAKED! I screamed, left the gym, and had a panic attack in the hall. I could not stop the tears or the hyper ventilating. Luckily there were only three people to witness the worst of the worst. However, there was a meeting that was getting over in the chapel with stake and ward leaders. Lovely. My dad was at the meeting, and had a hanky handy. So embarrassing.

The girl felt bad, and obviously didn't know that I was going to have an extreme fear of the rodent she was showcasing. I guess the kids had it the whole time during mutual, but they had it crawling through their sweatshirts and hiding in their purses, so the leaders couldn't see it. I don't understand the concept of wanting to have a pet rat and then letting it crawl all over you. Soooo DISGUSTING, and soooooo wrong.

If I'd known there was a rat about to be put in front of my face, I would have been able to control myself a little better, but to be caught off guard like that..... let's just say, I did not sleep well last night.

8 comments:

tharker said...

Spencer told me about this last night when he got home. I got chills for you!!

I would have had the same reaction! I have NO love for rodents of any kind.

Ceci and Steven said...

Hi this is Ceci-Emily's friend. And yes, somehow I found your blog and have kept up with it. Sorry about the stalking! But I love reading your blog, you're a good writer. I just felt the need to let you know, I feel your pain, and also wonder how on earth parents let their kids have those disgusting animals for pets. I also hate snakes, and anything in the reptile family along with rats and mice and all that nasty stuff. Anyway...I'm with ya on that one!

Hauni said...

I'm right there with you! The few times we have caught mice I have been know to start sobbing! I understand!

Amander said...

I will be the lone voice in support of rats - I had a pet rat growing up and it was SUCH a good pet!

Sheryl said...

oh poor you chels...my mom told me when i was young there was a mouse in our house that she was trying to kill, but i called it my kitty and would feed it at night! seriously! that's crazy.

Chelsea said...

Sheryl, that is CRAZY and disgusting!!!!!

Andre said...

That was mean!! My mom used to chase me around the house with water snakes. I have the same reaction.

nicole said...

OH!! I'm so sorry...I feel your pain, I'm like that with fish. Although, no one can surprise me with a fish in my face. But I get the tears and the hyperventilating.