Thursday, December 3, 2009

You'd Never Know

I took Preston to the doctor on Tuesday because I knew something was "off" with him. Even though he was still my sweet, happy baby, he wasn't sleeping like normal (hasn't been since we moved), and had his fussy moments. I suspected an ear infection along with a cold. Sure enough, double ear infection, sinus infection and an eye infection. Really, you'd never know.

Does anyone have a cure for a bad case of eczema under a babies neck (we think it's from drool)? The doctor told us to try Eucerin so he's been on that for a day. Poor guy has got a terrible rash.

12 comments:

Monica said...

Hi Chelsea,

Poor guy!! I hope he recovers quickly!! As far as the rash, Ry has eczema really bad because his allergy to dairy causes it....I use a couple different things in rotation- one is the "Aveeno Baby cream"- it is in a blue and tan squeeze bottle (like the bath and body works body creme tubes) It says that is for eczema on the front, then we also use this stuff called "Baby Aquaphor-healing ointment by Eucerine"....Both of these seem to calm it down and then there is stuff by the makers of "butt paste" called "baby kisses" and it comes in like a squeese tub of lip balm...this is great stuff...less greasey and I would smear that stuff all over ry's face and chin in the winter just as prevention whenever I would change a diaper....Hope some of these help!! I sure swear by them!

Chelsea said...

Thanks Monica I'll check them out.

Michael gets little bouts of eczema because of his diary allergy, and I've feared that's why Preston has it too.

jenniferhoiyin said...

Jane's been the same way, so happy but still a little different with sleeping and fussiness. maybe she has an infection too... good thing we go to the doctor's on monday.
Jane's had a rash from her allergy (we still haven't figured it out exactly, but I'm off dairy, wheat and eggs!) and we use bag balm for her excema. It's all over her little body, poor thing. I also heard the aquaphor was good but I've never tried it, bag balm is great.

hope he feels better!

Erin said...

He's so cute Chelsea! And our kids get horrible dry skin all the time and we use straight vaseline and it really helps block out the moisture (from the drool, our kids are also huge droolers) and clears it up within a couple of day. Best of all, super cheap :)

[M] said...

my kids only get eczema if they've had dairy. aveno cream (in the tub) works the best for us, and aquaphor (pricey though). our ped. says if it's a really bad spot then spot treat it with hydrocortisone cream. max started getting bad eczema around 6 months and i wish i would have figured out then that it was from dairy...

Brook said...

Our Dr. prescribed Desonide oinment for Liza and Porter. It really helps their rashes pretty much disappear. I think it is a few dollars at Walgreens. Eucerine definitely works the best for my kids dry skin, Preston couldn't be a cuter baby!!

Erin said...

by the way, when I said vaseline, I didn't mean lotion, I meant petroleum jelly!

Chelsea said...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Amanda said...

I know you have tons of advice already, but if it all fails, try Bag Balm. Costco has it sometimes, but so do farm supply stores. It's weird, but it worked like a dream on Silvester. I hope our next is a happy baby like yours ...

Amanda said...

Oh yeah, and bag balm is super cheap, that was the other bonus. The other products probably work, but bag balm is probably $4 or $5 for a big green tin.

Sheryl said...

Man he's such a trooper! Poor guy. p.s. remember to keep the "secret."

Alicia and Daniel said...

Chelsea~
I always wondered how your life turned out! You have an adorable family! I just wanted to stop by and say hi! I hope (except the ear infections) that life is doing fabulous things for you guys....keep in touch!
xoxo
Alicia

Btw...my boys had rashes under their necks....they always said had to keep them clean and dry....harder said then done :)