Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Prophet

As a little girl, when it was my birthday and I would blow the candles out on my cake, I would always make a wish that I could meet the prophet. This went on for years. Living far away from Salt Lake City, I knew the chances of me meeting a prophet were pretty slim, but each year I still held out hope.

In the summer of 1997 my family took a trip down to Lake Powell with some family friends. While we were there, I told the group about my yearly birthday wish. I hadn't ever told anyone, and I'm still not sure why I told them, seeing as how my birthday was long past. After we went to Lake Powell, we had tickets for a play at Tuacahn, which is an outdoor theater venue, not affiliated with the church. They don't allow cameras inside the theater, and even checked our bags to make sure we didn't have any.

Before the play started, my mom was talking to some missionaries who said they heard President Hinckley might be in attendance. He was supposed to come on the opening night, but it was rained out. We weren't sure if it was just a rumor, or if he was really going to be there. We took our seats towards the bottom, and shortly after noticed a commotion towards the top. Sure enough, there was President Hinckley and his entourage of family and security guards. We couldn't believe it! We watched to see where he was going to be seated. They seated him two rows behind us. I immediately started crying. Security allowed some of us sitting near him to shake his hand....my wish had come true! He and his wife were extremely kind, and I was very overwhelmed. We took our seats, and mine was right in front of his, and they didn't have anyone sitting in the seats between us. My dad, remembering my wish, asked me if I had told him my story, and I said that I hadn't. My sister had accidentally left her camera in her backpack, so my dad decided to go up, tell President Hinckley my wish, and ask if I could get my picture taken with him. President Hinckley, said "of course, have her come up here." So I climbed over the seats to where he was at. He re-shook my hand, gave me a hug, and smiled for the photo op. He asked me a few questions, of which I can't remember, but what I do remember is how genuinely sweet and caring he was.
I LOVE this picture for many reasons (and no, not because of my stylish bangs). When I scanned the picture, it cut off the bottom part where he has a baseball cap resting on his knee. I love his sweet wife sitting there just smiling. She is so adorable. I also love that everyone around us is oblivious to what is going on.

This week, I'm going to try and "be a little better," as President Hinckley would say. Here is one of my favorite quotes of his that I've read a few different places this week.

"I would enjoy sitting in a rocker ... listening to soft music and contemplating the things of the universe, But such activity offers no challenge and makes no contribution."

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

So sweet. I never knew the full story of you meeting him. Wow. He really feels like our prophet.

AmbertheGreat said...

That is so awesome!!! It gave me chills and tears :)

Alysia & Bryce said...

Hey there Chels. Well I LOVE that picture. It is so cute. I also added some new stuff to my blog and guess what my next blog is going to be about? No other than the Twilight Book. I have decided to dedicate my life to that book ha ha totally joking. Well anyways you and Kyle need to find some time this summer so we can go on a trip or do something fun.