I found this cabinet in someone's garage when I went to go buy a table (that I didn't end up getting), and they gave this to me for 20 bucks, threw in a bunch of yard tools, another table, some glass canisters that I love, and a bunch of other stuff. Their dad was going into a nursing home and they were getting rid of all of his junk.
I've given this a few good scrub downs, but I can still smell the "old smell" that I hate. It was disgustingly dirty before I started. Any advice? Should I paint it, leave it, toss it, burn it???? It is a very large piece that I can use for toys, games, blankets.....what do you think? For some reason my walls look pink, which they are not. The cabinet is more of a mint color.
To all my friends and readers who are better decorators then me...HELP!
By the way, if anyone is trying to reach us on our home phone it is STILL not set up. Charter is on my bad list right now. They were supposed to come set it up today (after waiting two weeks), but I just called them and they said they don't know why someone didn't come and it will take another 8 days. Seriously people, learn how to run your business.
To all my friends and readers who are better decorators then me...HELP!
By the way, if anyone is trying to reach us on our home phone it is STILL not set up. Charter is on my bad list right now. They were supposed to come set it up today (after waiting two weeks), but I just called them and they said they don't know why someone didn't come and it will take another 8 days. Seriously people, learn how to run your business.
12 comments:
When you figure out what to do about the "old smell" let me know. I have a beautiful, old china cabinet from my Great Aunt that we let air out for several days. We thought the old smell went away, but alas, when I open it up (months later) it's still moderately stinky.
Cool looking cabinet though! And $20 for it and a bunch of other stuff? That's great!
Can you use some of the Kilz paint? It covers everything.
I'm sure whatever you do with it will be fabulous!
It's a cool cabinet, although I have no advice for ya...I'm not too good at the whole decorating thing, much less getting old people smell out of stuff ;)
Now that you mention it, the wall does look very pink in the last picture. Too funny! I can't wait to see what you've done with your house.
I love it! I would paint it a really cool color that would pop. Like a red, or a baby ice blue, or even a chartruse green. Whatever would match what you currently have. Even an antique white would look really good. And then antique it a bit. I'm looking for a really big old hutch my house.
for sure keep it! it's so cool looking! I like how it looks antiqued, but maybe a fresh coat of paint would get rid if the smell...great find!
I agree - paint it!
Also, try baking soda and dryer sheets. They help soak up moderate smells.
I would totally keep it. I think the color and the distressing is very cool, but I think that painting should take care of the smell. You'll have to show us what you end up doing with it!
I LOVE it the way it is! Antique what? That is already antiqued.
Lisha, I agree, I like it the way it is too, but it has a smell like it's been in a shed for 50 years.
This will probably come as no surprise, but I love it! Keep it! I think the outside is a great texture/color--but if it doesn't go with your decor then paint it. Even if you don't paint the outside, I would paint the inside....a nice contracting, bold color will make this thing look like a million bucks. Question, do the shelves come out? If so that will make it easier to paint, but you could also line the back in a fabric. Yeah you have to keep this. Extra closet, take out a couple shelves for a hidden tv/entertainment center. In the kids rooms or play room for toys and such is a great idea.
As far as the smell paint should help, but I've also bought some glade plug in refills and just set them inside of something old and musty. Of course it can be a little overkill and sometimes perfume-y but it helps.
Thanks Miggy, I was hoping you'd comment :)
It goes with my decor because I don't have any decor!!
Okay, you really have to go to a paint store and find a primer that will cover up that smell. Paint alone will NOT dot it. Trust me. I ruined something by trying to take the shortcut. Kilz paint afterwards is a really good paint that helps with smell and guards against mildew etc. Plus they sell it at walmart for cheap. Anyway, I've done a few furniture projects and if you need any help let me know. I'm home alone half the day. BTW Love the cabinet I am so jealous of your find.
Post a Comment