Friday, January 15, 2010

Calling All Decorators, DIY'ers & Designers

I need some serious help here people! I've rearranged my living room a million times, and today I gashed my foot in doing so. Thus, I've decided to quit moving furniture until I get some advice on what looks best. Unfortunately the big wall has a window that is not centered, which complicates my furniture arranging. It looks best if the two couches are centered with each other, otherwise it looks off balance.

Did I mention I'm working on a budget. I've found all of our furniture on Craigslist so far, but I must have been extremely lucky because I've seen squat lately. If I lived in a big city this would be a lot easier. I need some drapes to tie things together (and offset the fact that I painted my room blue and then found blue couches) and I'm thinking some sort of bench underneath the window for seating? Maybe two chairs? Also, I'm trying to find some end tables that go with my furniture with some tall lamps. I'll probably move the brown circle table somewhere else, or at least change out the lamp.

I've mixed modern with classic....if you can't already tell since I have mid-century style couches paired with a classic settee.

Okay, here are some pictures of the room and the furniture. Kyle got me this clock for Christmas, and I'd like it to go in this room. I think it goes well with the black couch, no? Also, I have a piece of large artwork that I'll need to hang somewhere that has some gold, greens and blues in it, and I'm thinking a big family photo.

Okay....give me your opinions!

14 comments:

Ty & Dre said...

Cute furniture!

Ali said...

ok, I L.O.V.E love your living room! What amazing craigslist finds!! I would stick the clock on that small wall next to the large window, and save the wall over the black and white couch for a cool piece of artwork, or a family photo with some sconces (how is it spelled?) on either side. Also, a bench would be cute under the big window as well, but if you think you have enough seating already, you could find some cool short book shelf or something...books always add a little something to a room..though maybe not a very babyproof way to go. keep the pictures coming! I want to see the rest of your new house!

Ali said...

on second thought...i just looked at your pictures again and found that your big windows are too big to fit a bookshelf under...i actually think it looks good as is. less may be more in that department. and, i didn't realize the first time through that if you hung a picture over your black and white couch it couldn't be centered...maybe more of a collage of smaller things would look good...a few picture frames or something. i think you could do a single, tall & skinny, picture or piece of art over the long blue couch. man, i don't know. it is kind of a tricky room, but i really love how the furniture is arranged right now!

tharker said...

I'm not even going to attempt giving out decorating advice because let's be honest...I stink at decorating! But I do love those pieces!

N M said...

Your house looks gorgeous! Show us more pictures please, I want photo-tour so when we come visit we already know where everything is (hoping to definitely get to the States in next 23months sometime!) Love the furniture, that Craigslist sounds fantastic.

Sheryl said...

only if i knew how to decorate...you're good though. trust your instincts.

Tiffany Fackrell said...

wow you got that all on craigslist!! I love them! Have you tried the black and white couch under the 3 windows and put the blue couch on the wall with the one window and the chair in the corner where the blue couch is? You probably have! I also got that clock for christmas and I LOVE IT!!!

Emily & Kyle said...

Wow. You have always had such great fashion and decorating style. Seriously. I love the furniture & only wish you lived close enough to come and help me decorate! A 400 sq ft NYC apt doesn't leave much room for decorating and re-arranging:) Love you!

Shannon L. said...

Ditto Tiffany's idea...and make sure the couchs are not pushed all the way to the wall. Try the blue couch centered on the single window and also try it on the same wall more where the brown couch is now...maybe angled slightly? If you do try putting the brown couch in front of the three windows see how it looks to place the coffee table in front of the brown couch...if you do put the blue chair where she is suggesting also try the lamp and table in the corner next to the blue chair. I drive my family crazy when I move furniture so i do it when no one is home!

dandee said...

oooooh...I want to come over. this is my idea of fun!

Chelsea said...

Dandee....come on over!

Cajsa said...

okay, your Craig's list finds are INCREDIBLE! I thought the blue/leather couches were awesome and now you've gotten this beautiful b&w couch. So great! Anyway, I have no advice I'm just amazed at all your finds!

Monica said...

first off- great taste! so charming and full of charactor!! I agree that we need to see more pictures.....also, can you come shop for me?...so I am no pro but the HGTV shows always say to pull couches off the walls....I have noticed that a lot of model homes do this...i did this in my play room because I had similar issues to the ones you mentioned and I love the result. it created a more intimate seating area not so spread out..

JLea said...

what a cute room! Love the blue paint... what's the name and brand? I think you should actually put the clock over the blue couch and move your coffee table to be a side table next to the same couch by the stairs... of course this is just a suggestion, and your taste is way better than mine! Miss you... next time I'm in town I'm coming to see your cute house. Jorja