Friday, March 2, 2012

Correction: Brooks also has a soy protein allergy as well! 

The more research I've done, I've found that most kids show the signs of milk and soy protein allergy at 3 months, which is exactly when we started noticing the changes in Brooks.  Also my doctor told me that between 40 and 50% of kids who have the milk protein allergy, they also have the soy protein allergy.  I've had a lot of sleepless nights lately.  As soon as I lay Brooks down, he cries in pain, but will usually go to sleep for a little bit, and then he wakes up crying in pain.  As soon as I pick him up, he'll burp a couple of times and then the cycle continues.  He definitely has more problems at night.  As I said before, at least I know how to handle it this time.  I thought maybe it was just the dairy because when I went off of it, I noticed a difference, but it just took a couple of days before more symptoms started showing up.  

Most babies are not allergic to the soy and milk protein in their mother's breast milk, but my kids are over achievers I guess.  It's going to be a long 8 months until he's done nursing!  These allergies are hereditary, and I had the same problem when I was a baby, but they didn't have the research back then to diagnose it, so  I was just a skinny sick baby.  

3 comments:

Shannon Lybbert Low said...

Knowledge is power...so glad you know how to help him! Sorry about the dairy though...that's rough.

[M] said...

So glad you are on top of things. Every time I see a mom with a colicky, eczema filled baby I have a hard time biting my tongue. You are so lucky your kids grow out it it so young. If he still has problems after soy is out of your diet (hopefully he won't)you might try eggs or wheat. I cut milk out of my diet when ava was so fussy and would never sleep. Didn't make a difference. I finally got desperate(when she was 7 months old)and cut out wheat and she started sleeping through the night in two days. She still gets really bad gas and loose stools when she eats it:(

Chelsea said...

Mary Ann, I will definitely try those other things if I don't notice a difference. I'm ready for a good night sleep, so I'll try anything! He's such a good baby, so it's easy for me to notice when something has gone awry.

You are right, I'm so lucky that they grow out of it. I really feel bad for people like you that have to deal with this for a lifetime.