Friday, March 30, 2012

Mistake

Once again another allergy documenting experience:

Last night Kyle and I went to eat at a restaurant that caters to people with allergies.  I really debated going out, but we had a babysitter and I really just wanted to go out and relax and not worry about what to fix for dinner. I called ahead and talked to the chef and he said they could cater things for me.   I made sure to let my waitress know of what I couldn't eat.  I ordered a hamburger off their gluten free menu and asked for no cheese, no french fries, etc and that if they used oil to make sure to use olive oil.  Well I totally spaced asking about the bun (which is my fault).  I definitely should have ordered something like fish and rice, but I had just made that at home, and thought a burger sounded so good....even if it was gluten/dairy free.

Brooks has the really bad cough that is going around, and last night he also had a fever in the middle of the night.  He seemed to be extra gassy and upset, and it made for a long night.  The poor baby was in rough shape. This morning I noticed his eczema was really bad on his head again (it had pretty much cleared up), and he had scratches all over his head and forehead from when he came un-swaddled and had scratched his head.  He also was messing his diaper all the time.  I immediately knew that the hamburger bun must have had something in it.  I called the restaurant and sure enough the bun has cornstarch, egg whites, and a little bit of powder milk.  Isn't that amazing that a small piece of bread can have that much effect on a baby who's allergic?  I am so mad at myself because I have been completely allergen food free for almost a week (going on over a month with dairy/soy, and two weeks with wheat, eggs, nuts)!  At least it was only one item, so hopefully it won't take too long to get it out of my system.  No more eating out for me that's for sure.

Did you know that less than 2% of babies are allergic to their mother's breast milk (or at least the food that is passed through the milk)?  What are the odds that 2 of my children have this problem! There are many sites online that say a baby can't be allergic to their mother's breast milk.  These sites obviously haven't done their research properly.

Thanks for all of the word's of encouragement.  It's getting easier for me.  The first couple of weeks are always the most miserable.  Now I just need to start seeing some improvements in Brooks.  At least after last night, I KNOW he has allergies.  I'm going to schedule some blood tests next week to see if we can pinpoint what they are without going to the allergist.  To answer a question about formula, our insurance will not cover the formula.  We spent 2 years appealing our last insurance companies decision to not cover Michael's after they said they would, and we got nowhere.

6 comments:

[M] said...

Bummer! What restaurant was it? I'm sure my mom would love a gluten-free hamburger. I think that statistic about 2% is way low. I know so many people that say eczema and colic go away after taking allergens out their diet while breastfeeding. Sometimes they only call it an allergy if they have a positive test result, or blood in the stool. You are a great mom, keep it up:)

p.s. both Ian and Ava tested negative for allergies (at 12 months), yet both started sleeping/stopped being fussy when I adjusted my diet. So, the allergy test could be inaccurate or maybe it was just a sensitivity or digestive issue. Who knows.

Chelsea said...

I agree, I think the 2% is low....I think people don't correlate all the problems their children are having to allergies, when really that's what it is!!!

The restaurant is Twigs, and it's connected to the mall (we really like the atmosphere), and I think their food is great.

brentandkashann said...

I unfortunately rushed/skimmed your last post and just thought you were complaining about your diet to lose weight. I was way off wasn't I?

Chelsea, this seriously is horrible for both you and Brooks.

Chelsea said...

Kashann, I didn't even think anything of it. Don't worry, I don't expect anyone to read all these boring allergy posts! You would think that I would weight a 100 pounds since I can only eat rice, fruits, veggies, and meat, but for some reason it's not working that way, ha! I always hold on to extra weight until I'm done nursing. I'm definitely not winning the Casper weight loss competition because I'm nursing.

Anonymous said...

I hope Chelsea that you can get some answers to you questions, but also know you were given these children because they needed you as their mom to help them, thinking of you often

blindblogger said...

Chelsea you are amazing. I admire everything you are doing right now and hope you have the courage to do what your mother heart tells you is right.