Thursday, September 9, 2010

Triathlon

Well I said I'd do a Triathlon, and I did (clear back on July 3rd). I must say, it was a lot of work, since I was nursing, but I'm so glad I completed my goal.  Now I just need to get in gear and start working out again.  I think I burned myself out with all that training...excuses, excuses!
Here are my boys wishing me luck before the big race.  I was pretty much freaking out right here.  I was about to jump into that freezing cold water.  Don't let that wet suit fool you, it was still FREEZING.  
Can you spot me?  This is right before I was about to get worked in the water.  Legs kicking at me, people fighting to get out with the current (never happened for me).  This was by far the hardest, scariest part.  
This is when we were close to the shore at the beginning, eventually I was far away and scared for my life.  Somehow I swam a 1/2 mile in freezing water.  Some guy almost drowned, but luckily a fellow swimmer saw him go under and grabbed him.  There were NOT enough volunteers in the water or rescue boats for my peace of mind, but that's another story.  I should have trained in the river rather than a swimming pool.  Totally different experience.  
  The bike was my favorite part.  Not easy, but definitely my favorite.  The ride was 12 miles, and it was part road and part trail riding which kept things exciting.  I didn't like being stuck behind people on the single track.  One lady was holding a large group up of us up on the single track.  Right about now, I'm starting to realize I have to run for three miles.  Oh boy.  
This was hard, like really hard, but I knew I was almost done, so that's how I finished.  All three of these events alone, would not be too difficult, but lump them together and it's a whole new ballgame.  
Wow, I look so attractive in this picture...ha!
Here are some friends that did it as well.  I didn't train with them, but it was fun to know people doing the race and some of the girls and I were pretty close for most of the race (until they smoked me in the running).  


Would I do it again?  Absolutely!  

4 comments:

Amander said...

Nice job, Chelsea!

NaDell said...

Way to go, Chelsea! I am so impressed with you and your endurance. I would NEVER sign up to do any one of those, and for sure not combined. Good work!
And by the way, you look gorgeous no matter what you do. =)

tharker said...

You're awesome!!! Congrats on completing this goal. See, I might say that I'd like to do something like this, but that's about as far as it gets ;)

Cajsa said...

Next year I'm right there with you...I'd better start training NOW!! Love the updates.