Thursday, September 30, 2010

Last of Summer: Visitors and 3 More Reunions

This summer I was in charge of 3 reunions (Lybbert Reunion, 10 Year Class Reuion, and Mahuika Reunion-25 people at our house), plus two baby showers, among having other house guests and everything else that summer entails.  I'm going to try and sum it up in this one post, so I don't have to keep doing summer posts.

My best friend Candace came to stay with us for 5 days in July.  She lives in Tennessee while her husband goes to law school, and I wish so much she could live closer.  Her husband had to stay back for work, but her and Laura kept us company.  Every day her daughter would appear with an adorable dress, bloomers, and hair bow.  All made my Candice....I started feeling bad about my crafty skills the longer they were here, but luckily Candice made me my own hair pieces to tie me over until I can figure it out on my own.

I have lots and lots of memories with Candice that start in middle school. We were roommates in college a couple of times, and have always kept in close touch.  I wouldn't even pick a wedding date until I knew what day she was coming home from her mission, but once I picked the date she decided to extend for 6 weeks so she couldn't even make the date that was picked just for her.  Don't worry Candice I've forgiven you. :)  I wrote Candice every single week of her mission.  Now that's dedication!


Next up in our summer of craziness was my 10 year class reunion.  I went to a small school, but I haven't hardly kept in touch with anyone even though I went to school with most of them for 13 years.  It was really fun to see everyone, and felt like yesterday we were all together.  I hear some people say they hate their 10 year reunion, but we actually really enjoyed mine, and Kyle did too, which is always a plus when the spouse can feel comfortable.  I wish that everyone could have made it because there were lots of people that couldn't come.  Here are some of us at the reunion...
 
This was the second year we did the Casper Reunion at my parents place.  It's always fun to get together with the Casper family.  I just wish more of my older cousins could make it who live away.  Next year???  I dominated the handstand water competition, but I got smoked in the swimming competition by my aunt (so much for all that triathlon training!).

All the cousins who could make it this year.  There are 51 cousins total.
These two fed each other, pretty cute!  Don't you love Louesa's blone curls?  I used to have hair exactly like that.

Last but not least was the Mahuika Reunion which I volunteered to be in charge of and host.  Not sure what I was thinking offering to host 21 (25 including us) out of town guests for an entire week, but I'm glad we offered because we had a lot of fun.  The weather was perfect the whole week, and we jammed a lot of activities in.  We had people sleeping in closets, on floors, and in the laundry room, but each family had a room.  5 of the adults who don't have children or aren't married, stayed at Kyle's cousins house, but people still showered and did all of the activities at our place.  I actually didn't take very many pictures because we had an in-house photographer (sis-in-law's boyfriend) who took all of our family pictures and lots of reunion pics.  It was nice to not have to worry about taking all the pictures, but my pictures don't show everything we did.  Oh well.  

Thursday and Friday: Everyone arrived
Saturday: Swimming and BBQ at my parents
Sunday: Church and family pictures
Monday: Moses Lake Aquatic Center
Tuesday: Jet Skiing on the river
Wednesday: Relay Races at Park and Float Yakima River
Thursday: Departures

2 comments:

NaDell said...

You did such a great job on the reunions you planned! Thanks for telling us what you did with Kyle's family. We are planning the reunion for Andy's mom's side for 2012 here, so ideas of things to do around here are always welcome.
I had a great time at our 10 year reunion too. I think a lot of it was that it was low-key and we all mostly got along during HS already. It was just fun to see half of our class (that's another thing-since our class was so small, we are close.)

Lea Tame said...

I can't believe how big everyone's kids have gotten. I miss my Mahuika friends!